Contact Us At__
E-mail ID : email@example.com
PH: 9835495864 www.fb.com/imusol
The first steamship that crossed the Atlantic was in the early part of the 19th century. Competition increased and better vessels came into being. Today there are many types of ships in the merchant navy. Merchant Navy fleet includes cargo ships, container ships, barge carrying ships, tankers, bulk carriers, refrigerator ships, passenger ships as well as roll off/roll on ships. Here is a brief description.
The third mate is responsible for maintenance of lifeboats and firefighting equipment. He acts as signal officer in charge of all signalling equipment and assists with cargo work. One mate usually stands watch as in charge of the navigating bridge. In ports the third officer alternates port watches with second officer. In port duties he keeps cargo watch to ensure smooth loading & off loading and observing the cargo loading plan, port and company regulations.
- Chief Engineering Officer - 18 months as second engineers and Certificate of Competency 1st class Motor Engineering is required.
- Second Engineering Officer must have 1 year officer in charge experience and 6 months simulator training
- Third Engineering Officer
- Fourth Engineering Officer
- Fifth Engineering Officer
- Electrical Officer.
- To clean accommodation areas and public rooms
- To help the cook in the preparation of food to clean galleys and cooking utensils, and to help in the maintenance of fridges, freezers and hygiene in all food preparation and serving areas
- To serve meals to officers and crew
- To load and store the ship's consumable stores
Qualification as a merchant navy officer ca lead to opportunities throughout. Following are the career options in merchant navy:
Engineering Officer - These are the officer who are qualified in Marine Engineering. They join as 4th engineer and step by step get promoted to 3rd, 2nd and Chief Engineer, subject to their passing the competency exams and performance onboard the ship. the Engineering department in addition to looking after the main engines, are also responsible for associated equipment like power generation equipment, cargo pumps and air-conditioning etc.
Purser - He is an officer who looks after all the administrative works related to pay and perks of personal onboard. however, this category of personnel has also been almost phased pout and their duties passed over to other deck officers.